I added one step, in that I had a jar of BBs (for a BB gun) laying around. The smaller pipe, which does the work, I filled to the brim with tiny steel BBs. I had also purchased a second cap for it, adding a buck to the cost. I think the added weight was a great idea.
I put a small piece of clear in the smasher, and dropped the weighted pipe on it three times. What I poured out was almost small enough to be used for lampworking/fusing. I was very surprised how quickly this thing works. I think it needs more glass to get truly effective, and it'll be fun to experiment with to making powder for glass paints.
The two pieces of my frit smasher; you can see the operating end covered in glass dust