Sunday, August 9, 2015

Estelle's vigil: Family Badge Platter

Estelle did not ask for this, but some time ago we discussed the idea of making a matched set of platters that, when joined, would form her family badged (used by her whole mundane household). I decided this was as good a time as any!

The plates feature blue bars on a clear (white) field, with green in the corners (skipping heraldry terminology for non-heralds). Because I use a base layer of clear, I didn't see the need to fill in the second layer with clear. This is the first time I've tried any fused project with clear. I expected that the blue might spread or contract a bit, but I thought it would be acceptable:

HUGE bubble. Right beneath the base layer, not between two. The edge was also very irregular. ALSO, the grey sharpie used to tag the glass didn't burn off as I had expected. So, scrapped it and started over.

This time, I added clear layers in the top. The results fused much more smoothly:

And the slumping went well. Initially the shape bothered me, I thought I was seeing the "dogboning" problem I've had in the past with this mold, and I had been correcting my slumping temperature down to try and adjust. After a couple of days I realized they are fine; the molds have a slight curve in a plane I didn't realize, and the shape is closer to the mold's shape than I thought.

The piece in the top of these pictures had some old kiln wash fuse to the glass. For the immediate purposes, this is fine, but I plan to remake it so it has the clarity of the second (bottom) tray.

Lessons Learned:

  • Applied kiln wash apparently has a shelf-life!
  • Better results with even layer coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment